Back pain? Avoid sitting! If you have back pain and sit for most of the day, then we may just have found the source of your back pain. Cranbourne chiropractor Dr Shaun Beovich from Cranbourne Chiropractic Centre says it may be sitting! Apart from causing back pain due to inactivity, sitting may also lead to other health problems as noted below. In fact sitting is now being termed the new smoking due to it’s detrimental effects it can have on your overall health.
Here are some studies that show that sitting is not just bad for your back:
- British Journal of Sports Medicine – those who sit for prolonged periods have a higher risk of disease than those who move a muscle every now and then, such as walking up the stairs to grab a cup of coffee.
- American Cancer Society – if you exercise nearly every day, health benefits are undone if you spend the rest of your time sitting.
- University of Missouri – sitting shuts off the circulation of a fat-absorbing enzyme called lipase.
- American Journal of Epidemiology – sitting more than six hours a day, can make someone at least 18% more likely to die from diabetes, heart disease and obesity than those sitting less than three hours a day.
- Pennington Biomedical Research Center – 17,000 men and women over 13 years -people who sit for most of the day are 54% more likely to die of heart attacks.
But what about my back? Sitting for prolonged periods is definitely bad for your back and may lead to forward head posture, neck pain, headaches and low back pain. There are some strategies to use to combat the aches associated with prolonged sitting and alternatives to sitting like standing but more importantly MOVEMENT!
For more information on posture keep checking upcoming blogs or get a digital postural analysis at Cranbourne Chiropractic Centre. You can easily book online here or phone 9581 2624. Serving the Cranbourne North, Berwick Springs and Narre Warren South areas.